Koorong marks 40 years of providing life-changing Christian resources to all Australians
This June, Koorong celebrates 40 years of service to the Body of Christ in Australia. The Christian book retailer first opened its doors on June 8 th 1978, as Australia’s first specialist Christian bookstore.
With a focus on giving Australians more immediate access to vital Christian resources, Koorong has been making a difference for four decades. As a result, it’s no surprise that Koorong has become more than just a retailer…
Recently, a woman returned to Koorong’s store in Penrith, western Sydney almost two years after her desperate first visit. Two years earlier, this woman had been on a train to the Blue Mountains with the intention of going into the bush and ending her life. But as she neared Penrith, she saw the Koorong sign with its dove logo on the rear of the building. For some reason, she felt compelled to get out of the train and go into the store to find out about God and what Koorong could possibly offer her.
At the store she met manager Warren and another staff member, who talked to her and prayed with her. Warren gave her a copy of Brennan Manning’s Christian classic The Ragamuffin Gospel, which explains that no matter what we have done, who we are or what we do, God’s love for us never changes.
Warren urged the woman to promise to read the book and not harm herself. That was the last Warren saw of her until she returned to the store with a smile and a couple of young children in tow. The woman thanked Warren and Koorong for the book, their prayers and their kindness.
She told him it had saved her life and was helping her find a full and satisfying life in Jesus.
Now, as the Christian bookstore celebrates its 40th anniversary, Koorong believes it’s a “reminder about how what we do impacts the Kingdom of God.”
- More than 49% of Koorong’s customers are aged between 25 and 44.
- Baptists, Pentecostals, and Anglicans are the largest denominational groups that buy Christian resources through Koorong.
- There were nine(9) major English Bible translations available at Koorong in 1978. They now sell more than 30 major English translations and a plethora of foreign language translations.
- Koorong operates online as well as in 15 stores across Australia.
In August 2015, Koorong was acquired by Bible Society Australia; the company’s proceeds now assist with Bible translation, distribution and engagement, both here in Australia and around the world.
- New styles push up Bible sales – December 22nd 2017 – Eternity News https://www.eternitynews.com.au/australia/new-stylespush-up-bible-sales/
- Koorong CEO: ‘We like the notion that ideas can fight it out graciously on the shelves’ – June 8th 2017 – Eternity News https://www.eternitynews.com.au/australia/koorongceo-we-like-the-notion-that-ideas-can-fight-it-outgraciously-on-the-shelves/
To arrange interviews with Koorong’s Penrith Store Manager Warren Ward, please contact John Pearson:
National Media & Communications Manager, Bible Society Australia.
email@example.com Ph. 0438 771 269