This just came in via Advertising & Media Insider by way of several heavy hitters in the advertising world, and it’s good news for marketers, including Christian companies, non-profits and secular companies seeking to reach Christians.
Gen Z is the generation following behind the finicky Millenial generation which has been a struggle for marketers to reach, and they prefer “old” media.
“Something to mull this week: Brands and publishers have been obsessing forever over how to reach millennials, but a new study by The Atlantic’s creative marketing group Atlantic Re:think, Comscore, and Harvard College Consulting Group should challenge their thinking on people 18-24. The study has big implications for media and brands as they look for their next generation of users and customers.
“The key findings:
- Gen Z prefers old media. Millennial media is not a fit for Gen Z, with respondents reporting lower favorability scores for millennial-targeted news outlets versus established news outlets. In fact, 48% of Gen Z prefer titles like Time and The New Yorker versus 20% who favored newer ones like BuzzFeed and Cheddar.
- They’re less brand-loyal and expect brands to be more socially responsible than millennials do. 61% are more likely to buy brands that have spokespeople who are diverse rather than spokespeople who look like them, compared to 52% of millennials.
- They like brick and mortar: 41% said a physical store encouraged them to try new brands, versus an e-commerce site (18%).
- Out of 60 brands, only two get more love from Gen Z than millennials: YouTube and Apple.
- They’re less concerned about privacy, at least for now. 42% say they try to share as little as possible, compared to 54% of millennials.
“Gen Z will demand more of the brands they buy and companies they work for, but Gina Bulla of Atlantic Re:think, who led the study, managed to find a silver lining. “Part of it is good news,” she said. “They haven’t made set-in-steel brand preferences. There is a lot of opportunity to grow that love.””
Subscribe to Advertising & Media Insider here.
Let award-winning FrontGate Media help you reach the faith-based Christian, Catholic, African American and Latinx audiences. We are a full-service agency providing strategy development, public relations, social marketing, media buying, video production and more. We are one of the top Christian Web Networks and Direct Response Emailers via our Web & Event Network reaching millions of Christians each month through our Christian websites, direct email lists and events. Please contact us for more information.