Valley Forge, PA – January 25, 2011 – In celebration of Black History Month, Judson Press is offering a month’s worth of free programming presented by its African American authors. Each week in February will feature podcasts and webinars on a variety of topics of interest to the African American community.
The month-long series will culminate on February 25 with a live video stream from Fuller Seminary where Dr. Ralph Watkins will host a special event titled "The Black Church: Dead or Alive?"
Calendar of Events
(unless otherwise specified the event listed is a podcast which will be available for download on the date indicated)
- 2/2: "Teaching Children African American History through Literature" with Jean Alicia Elster, author of the Joe Joe in the City children’s series
- 2/9 at 2:00 p.m. (EST): "Changing History with Crazy Faith" with pastor and Washington Post "On Faith" blogger Rev. Dr. Susan K. Williams Smith. This hour-long webinar is based on her book Crazy Faith: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives.
- 2/14, 2/16, 2/18: "Celebrating the Black Church," a three-part podcast series, joins Rev. Dr. Joel Gregory and Rev. Dr. William Crouch, authors of What We Love about the Black Church: Can We Get a Witness? with two of the book’s contributors, Rev. Dr. J. Alfred Smith Sr. and Bishop Donald Hilliard. The book’s editor, Rhoda McKinney-Jones, will host the interview.
- 2/17 at 2:00 p.m. (EST): "Engaging and Caring for the Church’s Older Generation" with Rev. Bobby Joe Saucer. This hour-long webinar is based on his book Our Help in Ages Past: The Black Church’s Ministry among the Elderly.
- 2/22 at 2:00 p.m. (EST): "The Black Church Responds to the Incarceration Crisis" with congressional deputy chief of staff Dr. Charles E. Lewis Jr. and Healing Ministries director Dr. Harold Dean Trulear. This hour-long webinar is based on their upcoming book Ministry with Prisoners & Families: The Way Forward (April 2011).
- 2/23: "Women Wonderfully Made by God" with mega-church pastor Rev. Dr. Cynthia L. Hale, author of the Judson Press best-seller I’m a Piece of Work! Sisters Shaped by God
- 2/25 from 10:30 a.m.- noon (PST): "The Black Church: Dead or Alive?" will stream live from Fuller Seminary with professor Dr. Ralph Watkins. Dr. Watkins is the author of the recent release Leading Your African American Church through Pastoral Transition. He also co-authored From Jay-Z to Jesus: Reaching & Teaching Young Adults in the Black Church, and The Gospel Remix: Reaching the Hip Hop Generation.
In addition to this new programming, Judson Press will also post links to previously recorded webinars with Joseph Robinson Jr., author of 7 Leadership Imperatives from a Wild Man, and Rev. Dr. James C. Perkins, author of Playbook for Christian Manhood: 12 Key Plays for Black Teen Boys.
Registering for Black History Month Events
More information about Judson’s Black History Month programming, including links to podcasts and webinar registration, can be found at www.judsonpress.com/blackhistorymonth.cfm.
About Judson Press
Founded in 1824, Judson Press–a publishing ministry of the American Baptist Home Mission Societies, American Baptist Churches USA–produces Christ-centered leadership resources for the transformation of persons, congregations, communities and cultures. Judson Press resources can be ordered by calling 800-458-3766 or visiting www.judsonpress.com.
For more information, including media requests for author interviews or review copies of books, contact:
Phone: 610-768-2458 or 800-222-3872 x2458